Go To A-Z Index

Solicitors - Unofficial Guide to the DVLA Speed Camera Fines

For helpful and convenient driving licence and vehicle advice:

Telephone : 0905 801 7211

Calls cost £1.53 per minute from a BT Landline.

Advice provided is available free of charge from DVLA

Advice you can trust, when you need it
We provide helpful and convenient advice regarding United Kingdom driving licence, vehicles, MOT, SORN and tax disc including advice on the following:

  • Change of address of UK driving licence
  • Renewals of UK driving licence
  • Lost or stolen of UK driving licence
  • Learner and new driver information
  • Register a vehicle
  • Who to notify when you buy or sell a vehicle
  • Making changes to your registration
  • Taxing your vehicle
  • MOT Certificates
  • SORN a vehicle
  • Locations and Hours

Accidents can happen and people are often injured as a result. Ideally, the person or organization who is at fault would agree to provide compensation to cover medical expenses, loss of wages and other impacts of the accident. However, the court system is filled with cases in which those who are at fault refuse to take responsibility. In such cases, hiring a personal injury solicitor is the most effective way to ensure compensation is awarded and received.

Speed Cameras

With more than 3 million motorists being caught by speed cameras, it is little wonder that Britainís motorists are becoming more and more desperate to find ways to avoid the inevitable three points and £60 fine.

Unfortunately, speed cameras are not always about being safe. You may be driving perfectly safe along an empty motorway at eighty miles an hour; this does not mean that you will escape the hidden camera.

As a result, many motorists are opting to fight speed camera fines.

Speeding Fines and Penalty Points

If a vehicle is caught speeding or jumping a red light by a safety camera, the registered keeper will be sent a form called ‘Notice of Intended Prosecution’ within 14 days. Part of this form asks the registered keeper to identify the driver at the time of the offence.
If you are the driver, you may be eligible for a conditional offer of a fixed penalty. This means you will not have to attend a court hearing if you pay the fixed penalty.
The minimum fine for speeding or running a red light is £60 and three penalty points added to your licence.

You may need to go to court if ...

... the offence is a serious one or if you already have a certain number of points on your licence. In this case you will not be offered a fixed penalty and will have to go to court.

You can choose to go to court if ...

... you wish to challenge the penalty or there are mitigating circumstances you think should be taken into consideration. If you tell the police you wish to go to court they will normally issue you with a summons. You can give reasons for disputing the speeding fine on the summons, plus any evidence you want the court to take into account.