Go To A-Z Index

DVLA GUIDE - Unofficial Guide to the DVLA™ Exchange Tax Disc

For helpful and convenient driving licence and vehicle advice:

Telephone : 0905 801 7211

Calls cost £1.53 per minute from a BT Landline.

Advice provided is available free of charge from DVLA

Advice you can trust, when you need it
We provide helpful and convenient advice regarding United Kingdom driving licence, vehicles, MOT, SORN and tax disc including advice on the following:

  • Change of address of UK driving licence
  • Renewals of UK driving licence
  • Lost or stolen of UK driving licence
  • Learner and new driver information
  • Register a vehicle
  • Who to notify when you buy or sell a vehicle
  • Making changes to your registration
  • Taxing your vehicle
  • MOT Certificates
  • SORN a vehicle
  • Locations and Hours

You are in the Drivers License & ID. If you are looking for Drivers License & ID information dvlaguide.com is the right site for you. In this section you'll find out how to apply, renew and replace your drivers license, how to update any name or address changes, how to apply motorcycle license, or what medical rules apply to drivers

This site, dvlaguide.com, also covers the specifics for learners and new drivers, vehicle registration, taxing your vehicle, MOTs, how to SORN a vehicle, what forms you need and DVLA hours and locations.

Exchanging Your Tax Disc

You'll need to exchange your tax disc if you make any changes to your vehicle's construction or use that will change the tax class or the amount of vehicle tax you pay.

When to Exchange

Exchange your tax disc if you change the:

  • the use of a vehicle you have just bought
  • engine size (cylinder capacity)
  • type of fuel used
  • weight of a goods vehicle
  • number of seats on a bus
  • tax class (this does not apply for tax classes where no vehicle tax is payable)

If the Fuel Type or Engine Size Has Changed

For changes to the fuel type or engine size (cylinder capacity), which needs a lower rate of vehicle tax to be paid, you must provide documentary evidence of the change. This can be the receipt for the new engine, written evidence from the manufacturer, insurance company or garage that carried out the change.

How to Exchange Your Tax Disc

Exchange your tax disc in person or by post at your nearest Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) local office.