Go To A-Z Index

DVLA GUIDE - Unofficial Guide to the DVLA Car Tax Rules

For helpful and convenient driving licence and vehicle advice:

Telephone : 0905 801 7211

Calls cost £1.53 per minute from a BT Landline.

Advice provided is available free of charge from DVLA

Advice you can trust, when you need it
We provide helpful and convenient advice regarding United Kingdom driving licence, vehicles, MOT, SORN and tax disc including advice on the following:

  • Change of address of UK driving licence
  • Renewals of UK driving licence
  • Lost or stolen of UK driving licence
  • Learner and new driver information
  • Register a vehicle
  • Who to notify when you buy or sell a vehicle
  • Making changes to your registration
  • Taxing your vehicle
  • MOT Certificates
  • SORN a vehicle
  • Locations and Hours

You are in the Drivers License & ID. If you are looking for Drivers License & ID information dvlaguide.com is the right site for you. In this section you'll find out how to apply, renew and replace your drivers license, how to update any name or address changes, how to apply motorcycle license, or what medical rules apply to drivers

This site, dvlaguide.com, also covers the specifics for learners and new drivers, vehicle registration, taxing your vehicle, MOTs, how to SORN a vehicle, what forms you need and DVLA hours and locations.

Car Tax Rules

If you use or keep a vehicle on a public road, you must display a valid tax disc on it. As the registered keeper of the vehicle you're responsible for taxing it or making a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) if it's to be kept off the road.

Tax your Vehicle

To tax your vehicle you'll need:

  • a completed V11 reminder or V10 or Vehicle licence application
  • your Registration Certificate or New Keeper supplement, if using a V10
  • a completed V62 ‘Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate V5C’, if you don't have a Registration Certificate
  • an MOT test certificate (if your car or motorcycle is over three years old)
  • insurance that covers you against third party claims for death or injury and damage to property caused by using the vehicle
  • the payment for vehicle tax (not needed if your vehicle is exempt from paying vehicle tax)

Display Your Tax Disc

Display a tax disc on the passenger side (kerb side) of the vehicle's windscreen. If there's no windscreen or you have a motorcycle or sidecar, display the tax disc on the kerb side of the vehicle. The tax disc cannot be transferred between vehicles.

What If You Don't Tax or SORN Your Vehicle

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) carries out a computer check each month, as well as roadside checks to identify those vehicles without a valid tax disc. You could face an automatic penalty of £80 as well as a minimum fine of £1000. Your vehicle could be clamped, impounded or even crushed.

Keep Your Documents Up to Date

Up to date documents will help you tax or SORN your vehicle on time and avoid a penalty.

Registration Certificate

Tell DVLA when you change your name, address or vehicle details so that they can send your V11 reminder on time.

MOT and Insurance

Make sure your MOT and insurance certificates are valid on the date you want your tax disc to start. Make a note of any renewal dates to remind you.

Continuous Registration

Tell DVLA if you sell, transfer, scrap or export your vehicle, otherwise you'll continue to be responsible for taxing it even though you no longer have it. Complete the appropriate section of your Registration Certificate and send to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1BA.

You should receive an acknowledgement letter within four weeks, which you should keep as proof that DVLA records have been updated. Contact DVLA customer enquires if you don't receive it.